The Garden City Center Building
100 Quentin Roosevelt Boulevard
Garden City, NY 11530

What are Father’s Rights?

In recent years, there has been a recent push for “father’s rights.” This is a push-back to what is perceived as an unfair balance towards mothers in the family court system, especially as it pertains to child custody and child support. A father’s rights attorney makes sure that men are treated fairly throughout the process and ensures that both parents have equal access and equal rights to their child or children.

In New York, the court is supposed to ignore the respective gender of each parent and focus instead on the best interest of the child when determining custody, support, visitation, etc. But there is still a strong pull in our society towards traditional gender roles that assume the mother is the caretaker and the father is the financial provider. These roles are shifting, however, as more women seek careers outside the home and more men stay at home to take care of domestic duties.

Since the roles of the partners in the relationship have changed, it is important that a judge base his or her decision on the specific family in question and not base decisions on gender roles. A court may find that it is in the child’s best interests to grant custody to the father. A strong advocate for the father can work to make sure that a judge respects the rights of the man in the relationship and given him fair access to his child.

If you are man involved in a divorce or child custody battle and you feel you are being treated unfairly by the courts, a father’s rights attorney at The Law Office of Seidner & Associates will fight for you. We will make sure that the best interests of the child are fully represented irrespective of the gender of the parents. We understand how frustrating it can be for men who are not treated fairly by the court. For a free consultation regarding your family law matter, contact The Law Office of Seidner & Associates right away.


Need legal representation? Fill out our contact form with some information about your case/concern which will remain private. We will respond to any inquiry as soon as possible.

Contact Us

Scroll to Top